Acid reflux,esophageal ulcer,biopsy,zegerid,H-pylori,NSAID

Gastroenterologist
Question
Age 59. Weight 215. Height 5'7". Non drinker. Non smoker. Acid Reflux Disease for years. Just diagnosed with an Esophageal Ulcer. Biopsy taken. Taking Zegerid for over a year,didn't seem to help much with the acid. Which most likely caused the ulcer. First question. Will a biopsy of this type of ulcer,detect H-Pylori? According to some medical journals,up to 90% of all Esophageal Ulcers are cause by H-Pylori. The remaining caused by NSAID'S,and so on. Second question. What advice can you give me on controlling the acid? I am very concerned about this. Since this can worsen the problem,and lead to other more serious problems,like cancer,in the future. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 11 hours later
Hello Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

Our digestive tract starts from mouth. After eating, food bolus pass down a tube in chest into stomach which lies in abdomen. The tube in chest is known as esophagus.

Q: First question. Will a biopsy of this type of ulcer,detect H-Pylori? According to some medical journals,up to 90% of all Esophageal Ulcers are cause by H-Pylori. The remaining caused by NSAID'S,and so on.

A: Stomach and duodenal ulcers are caused by H pylori. On the contrary, esophageal ulcers are caused by reflux of acid from stomach into esophagus. Other causes of esophageal ulcers include drugs like doxycycline, pottasium chloride etc, infections (eg CMV, candida) and cancers.

If your esophagus is biopsied, it is very unlikely that the pathologist will be interested in H pylori.

Q: Second question. What advice can you give me on controlling the acid? I am very concerned about this. Since this can worsen the problem,and lead to other more serious problems,like cancer,in the future.

A: I can understand your concern. But before I suggest acid suppressing measures, I would like to know about your endoscopy and biopsy report.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Awaiting your response.

Dr Vaibhav Banait,
MD, DNB, DM.
Consultant Gastroenterologist,
Nagpur.

Follow-up: Acid reflux,esophageal ulcer,biopsy,zegerid,H-pylori,NSAID 55 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for your reply. The endoscopy was just done today. The biopsy report will not be available for days yet. I don't know if a biopsy was taken of the esophagus,or the ulcer itself yet. Sorry i don't understand how to upload new reports. But,once i hear from the biopsy report,i will tell you the results. I am new at using XXXXXXX And also not very computer savvy. John.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 5 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

Kindly just let me know about the endoscopic impression that is written on the endoscopy report. I will try and answer you based on it.