Acid reflux, chest discomfort, anxiety, dizziness, neck pain, taking Xanax, acid reducer

hello,cardiologist did all the test to make sure my heart is ok and apparently there is no problem with it. the doctor said i have acid reflux and i get this discomfort on the left side of my chest and arm. at the same time anxiety and i get dizzy. feel sometimes like im going to past out. i get also pain on the back of my neck .depending on what i eat i feel the discomfort stronger or softer and anxiety.
im taking acid reducer and xanax for anxiety. im loosing weight because im afraid to eat.. im worried. What specialist would you recomend? or what would be your diagnostic? im 39 years old , no previous medical conditions.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

There are few possibilities which I would like to consider based on your history.

1. Chest pain may be due to cardiac or gastritis / Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). I am happy to know that cardiac conditions have been ruled out and acid reducers are the right choice of medications
2. Pain in the neck, pain in the shoulder and arm with intermittent spells of dizziness also suggest the possibility of cervical spondylosis. It can happen due to age related degenerative changes in the cervical spine that affects the vertebral bodies and intervertebral disks of the neck. An X-ray of neck in lateral view and MRI scan of the neck will help in the diagnosis.

Cervical spondylosis needs treatment in the form of medical drugs, physiotherapy / exercises and cervical collar. Cervical collar helps in immobilisation and thus brings relief. Medical treatment includes pain killers like acetaminophen and muscle relaxants are useful. Methylcobalamin supplements are also considered in severe causes with nerve compression. Cervical isometric exercises have also been beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.

In addition hot compressors to the neck and soft pillow are few other measures which you can consider.

You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Orthopaedician'.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.