Ache on left shoulder blade,shortness of breath,tiredness,has GERD,take protonix in evenings

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am a 57 yr. old woman, 5'2, 152 lbs.. for the past few days I have been feeling a dull ache on my left shoulder blade and like I am not breathing fully.. a slight shortness of breathe but nothing major.. I do suffer from gerd and take protonix every evening.. have been getting tired more easily also... did alot of yard work so not sure if maybe I overdid it...
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Pain in your shoulder blade can occur most likely in following conditions, a musculoskeletal problem, a lung and pleura related problem or GERD and diaphragm related reffered pain.
Considering your history it is more likely that you have a minor muscle or ligament strain due to excessive physical ( yard) work.Which can cause pain and a catch in respiration due to painful movement of muscle during such a case the treatment is rest and analgesics anti inflammatory drugs like acetaminophen and ibuprofen.the pain should gradually subside in a couple of days.

If it persists or you develop fever or increased breathlessness then the less likely causes need to be ruled out which can be done best by consulting your physician.he can examine you thoroughly and if needed do an xray ,electrocardiogram, blood counts, ultrasound abdomen to rule out pleuritic pain or complications like peptic ulcer and aspiration pneumonitis and provide exact diagnosis and treatment. As of now there seems nothing worrisome and urgent but in case you develop any new symptom do take prompt medical consultation.

Hope I have answered your query.
Ill be available for any follow up queries.