Ache and tiredness after tanning under the sun, joints swell, over weight. Lupus?

I'm a 52 year old mail of Mediterranean descent - for the past few months I've noticed that when I spend any significant time in direct sunlight (like tanning at the beach) even for just a short period of time I soon get very ache and extremely tired. My joints hurt and sometime swell - I don't drink or smoke but I am overweight... no rashes so I don't believe its Lupus but I am concerned that it may be something more serious... I have no energy
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
I can appreciate that you are very concerned regarding the symptoms which you have noticed recently. I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.
Everything you describe here sounds like most likely a benign type of viral syndrome. Viruses in the environment are common and when we are exposed to them they can sometimes trigger a constellation of symptoms including fatigue, joint pains etc.

These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks. I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical exam and possibly some blood work as well to rule out the conditions like chronic fatigue syndrome, HIV, lupus erythematosus, etc. In the meantime, try not to worry about this and focus on maintaining good health as I have recommended with diet, fluid intake and exercise as well as adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night).
Losing some extra weight will also help your problem.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.