According to basal body temperature chart is the cycle ovulatory or anovulatory?

Sep 2012

Hello doctor,I have uploaded my BBT chart,will you please let me know whether the cycle is ovulatory,anovulatory or pregnanacy?
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

Thank you for posting a question.

Look, after going through the chart, I have found that the body temperature is around 97.1 in the first half of your cycle. But, on 13 th day it raises around 97.4 but after that it fluctuates. No steady level is maintained.

In case of a normal ovulatory cycle, the teperature raises in the second half of the cycle. It goes down again before the next period. It is called biphasic pattern. It is not seen in your chart.

In case of anovulatory cycle, no pattern is seen.

In case of pregnancy, rise of temperature is seen in second half but it does not go to the base level alongwith absence of period.

So, in your case, it is anovulatory cycle. Pregnancy is absent. HPT tests are also supportive of that. But for confirmation, you have to do a n ultrasound scan.

For your information, this bbt method of detecting day of ovulation has become obsoleted. Now a days, the ovulation kit is available in market. It is more specific as it uses the fsh and lh levels.

The gold standard investigation in this field is ultrasound guided follicular study.

So, consult with your treating doctor about these methods.

Lastly your cycle is most probably anovulatory.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: According to basal body temperature chart is the cycle ovulatory or anovulatory? 10 hours later
thank you very much for the response,

Doctor,can you please let me know why there is a lower back pain from almost 10th day of the cycle and sore breasts from 18th day which surprisingly has not subsided yet,I really do not know what is going on in my body...

regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, the low back pain can occur due to many causes including pelvic inflammatory disease, any other musculoskeletal problem.

Sore breast may be present as a part of normal development and evolution.

Now, you have to do a battery of tests including routine urine test, an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen, and other hormonal profile estimation. Then consult with your treating doctor for clinical correlation and also for further management.

Hope you have your answers.