Accidently swallowed a small staple. What are the complications?

Average

General Surgeon
Question
I may have just swallowed a small staple. Do I need to see a Doctor? I would like a response quickly so I can get to a Doctor if it's recommended. Thanks!
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

In most cases small objects when swallowed do not cause any symptoms and are being excreted with stool without any troubles. So there is no need to see your doctor as long as you do not suffer from stomach pain, nausea, vomiting. However if such symptoms will appear, you need to go to ER right away.
It is advisable to have abdominal X-ray for about couple a days to see if you have excreted this staple.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Accidently swallowed a small staple. What are the complications? 20 hours later
Are you recommending xrays only if I begin to have the symptoms you listed above. I'm assuming so, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the information!

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

It would be reasonable to make xrays anyways. It is good to know that there is no staple inside intestines anymore. Sometimes such staple can stuck in the place where the small intestine connects with the large intestine and cause bowels obstruction or perforation after some time.

Regards.