Accidentally took lamotrigine 200 mg along with clonazepam. Any complication?

I accidentally took 200 mg of lamotrigine thinking it was my clonazepam then I took the clonazepam about and hour not thinking about the lamotrigine until I saw it on the counter. What can I expect.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

First you should relax. 200mg is not a XXXXXXX dose of lamotrigine. Effective dose of lamotrigine is 50 to 200mg per day. But dose like 200mg given on gradual upward titration of doses over a period of 4-6 weeks, according to need of patient.

Side effect with lamotrigine 200mg will depend on your current pattern of lamotrigine use:
-Side effects will be more if you are not taking lamotrigine
-Side effects will be less if you are already taking lamotrigine specially more than 50mg per day.

Toxic levels are not clearly established in humans. In animals, the LD50 (lethal dose for 50% population) is somewhere between 250mg/kg (so for 10kg animal LD50 is 2500mg) when injected to 650 mg/kg (so for 10kg animal LD50 is 6500mg) when given orally. though.

The common side effects which you can notice with current dose are:
-Serious Side-effects: Such as rash, fever, and fatigue are very serious, as they may indicate incipient Stevens–Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, DRESS syndrome or aseptic meningitis.
-Other side-effects: Loss of balance or coordination, double vision, crossed eyes, pupil constriction, blurred vision, dizziness and lack of coordination, drowsiness, insomnia, anxiety, vivid dreams or nightmares, dry mouth, mouth ulcers, memory and cognitive problems, mood changes, runny nose, cough, nausea, indigestion, abdominal pain, weight loss, missed or painful menstrual periods, and vaginitis.

In current position following steps will help you:
-Inform your family members and psychiatrist (physician) about accidental consumption of 200mg lamotrigine.
-Immediately visit emergency room if there are following problem: Rash, respiratory problem, and fever.
-Drink plenty of water and fruit juice.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.
Wish you good health.