Accidentally took double dose of janumet tablet. Should I be concerned?

by mistake my husband took double dose of janumet tablet . What should I do now?
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Guru 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better if under observation

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

Not very XXXXXXX but still needs observation under doctor. Janumet is combination of sitagliptin and metformin hydrochloride which reduce blood sugar levels. As the dose is doubled, his sugar levels may go down to very low levels. So, it is better to keep an eye on his sugar levels and level of conciosness. Quickly do a finger stick glucose, if you have glucometer at home.

If he feels giddiness or feels like losing consciousness, give a spoonful of normal household sugar and take to a hospital. If he does not complain about anything, still putting him under observation of a doctor just for few hours, will be good.

Kindly confirm, if the dosage on the taken Janumet tablet is 50 mg sitagliptin/500 mg metformin hydrochloride.

If it is 100 mg sitagliptin/1000 mg metformin hydrochloride, go to hospital immediately.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Accidentally took double dose of janumet tablet. Should I be concerned? 6 minutes later
The medicine is 50mg/1000mg. Can I give him choclate as a precaution. How many hours do I have to keep watch
Answered by Dr. Guru 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sugar or glucose powder is good

Detailed Answer:

Sugar or glucose powder is good than chocolate(this has complex sugars). I said it is better to be under doctor's observation. About 12 to 24 hours observation is good.