Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Accidentally swallowed tissue. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 299 Questions
It's a really silly one. I accidentally swallowed a tissue 2 days ago. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

Swallowing a tissue does not cause harm. Since it is a soft one and does not have any sharp edges, it will not cause any tear in the food pipe. The tissue fibres are expected to pass down the food pipe and are excreted in stools. It is also not known to contain toxic substances and hence will not cause systemic side effects.

Rarely you may have episode of soft/loose stool due to the presence of fibre in the tissue which will settle on its own, but on the whole it will not cause a concerning problem

I feel there is nothing that you need to do on this. Stop worrying about it.

Hope this answers is reassuring. I am available for follow ups /clarifications if any..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor