Accidentally swallowed a piece of Tupperware plastic. Feel fine, but should I be worried?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi. I accidentally swallowed a piece of Tupperware plastic that was in my reheated food. It was a few hours ago and I feel fine, but should I be worried?
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 27 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

Dear madam, you shouldn't be worried because in most cases it doesn't cause anything serious.

First, if you have breathing problems or swallowing difficulties you should go to doctor. Since few hours passed and you don't feel it throat it is probably in bowel. There is a possibility that it wasn't broken out by gastric acid and if this piece was sharp, it may cause bowel injury. This is very rare but if you notice sharp pain at any parts of abdomen in next 4-10 hours, you should visit doctor.

If you don't have symptoms next 4-10 hours then it means that it reached colon and passed through with stool. Also, if some substance was even resorbed in bowel it wouldn't be toxic for you because it can be only minor amount and this kind of plastic isn't considered to be XXXXXXX for our health.

Wish you good health.