Accidentally swallowed Buckyball magnets, vomited immediately, no pain. Should I go to the ER now?

ENT Specialist
My 14yr old son swalloed Buckyball magnets, (2) They are small and round. He was fooling around and accidently swallowed them. He forced himself to vomit immediately. I did not see the magnets but they could have went further down the toilet then I could have reached. Should i got to the ER right now or wait until the morning and see his regular MD. He is in no pain at all.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 47 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should go to an ER and get X-rays of the chest and abdomen done to locate these magnets.

2. If they do not appear on the X-rays, there is no cause for worry.

3. If they do appear on the X-rays, the management will change depending on whether there are two magnets or only one. CT Scanning may be required if there are two, especially if they are near or together.

4. Buckyball magnets are extremely powerful magnets and can pinch tissue between them and perforate intestinal walls together.

5. A single magnet can be observed as it may not cause any problem alone. Once a foreign body is swallowed past the cricopharynx (entrance of the esophagus / food pipe ) it usually passes through if it goes past the iliocecal junction (appendix area).

6. You may share the results of the investigations here for further treatment options, if required.

I hope I have answered your query. Awaiting your reply. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.