Accidentally swallowed 200 mg ibuprophen by 2 year old. What to do?

My 25# 2 year old dtr just told me she found a XXXXXXX pill on the stairs and ate it. Confirmed with 3 choices that it was 200 mg ibuprophen, which I thought it had to be that anyway. What do I do?
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I request you to take her to the ER at the earliest possible. The normal dosage of ibuprofen is 10mg/kg. If your daughter is weighing around 20 kg then the dosage she consumed is around her normal dosage. But you are not 100% sure that it is ibuprofen. If your daughter is weighing much below 20kg then the dosage is on the higher side (even though is is not in the toxic range.) But a examination and observation by a doctor will rule out any toxic effects and will help in early identification of any serious side effects.

When was this medicine consumed (how many hours before)?
Does he have any problems now?

Please reply in detail.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatric