Accidentally put glycerin suppository in baby's vagina. Any risk?

I may have accidentally put a glycerin suppository in my baby's vagina! I'm so upset!
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 56 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Heatlhcaremagic.

Thank you for writing to us.

I am not sure how this happened, but please do not panic. As glycerin is only a lubricant, and once inserted, it melts and gets absorbed; and in turn aids in a comfortable bowel movement. In your case, insertion of the suppository into your child's vagina should have no effect at all.

Do not worry about this. Did you notice any bleeding or your child crying? As the suppository can at times be bigger than the hymen (membrane that partially covers the external opening of the vagina). If there is no bleeding, and your child is not in pain, then there should be nothing to worry about.

Just wait it out, and your child should be fine. I hope this information helps, do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Accidentally put glycerin suppository in baby's vagina. Any risk? 8 hours later
There was no bleeding or crying, and it may not have happened! I'm second guessing myself because usually when I give her a suppository, she has almost immediate bowel movements, and she did not this time. I was very tired when I was giving it to her, so I'm just covering all of my bases just in case. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Hello once again.

Do not worry about it, even if it was administered into her vagina, it should cause no harm what so ever. And now that you have confirmed no injuries (absence of bleeding) or pain (due to stretching of the hymen), we can safely say that your baby girl is fine.

I can understand being a mother is a tiring job, my mother still cant handle me, even at this age. Give yourself some time to relax, take time off and do whatever it is that relaxes you. You deserve it.

My best wishes to you and your family.