Accidentally inhaled corn chips which went down wind pipe. Have been coughing with burning chest. Suggest?

I had a chewed mouthful of dry corn chips in my mouth and accidentally inhaled and a heap of fine corn chip partials went down my wind pipe, I tried coughing them up with no luck, I have been coughing a lot and my chest is burning. how do I clear the chips out?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Relax, Normal mechanism. Examination required ASAP

Detailed Answer:

Just relax now as the coughing is normal protective reflex mechanism to remove the foreign body. Since you told its fine particles the chance of obstruction of wind pipe is less but I advice you to better examined by your doctor to check whether the air entry to both side is normal. The burning feeling may be due to reactions the foreign body in lungs.

If air entry is normal then no need to worry and the particles will be removed by normal mechanism (coughing, absorption and ciliary movements).

If there is any obstruction (Complete or partial) then need to remove using bronchoscopy ASAP. You may require Chest x XXXXXXX to diagnose along with auscultation and also antibiotic therapy to prevent any bacterial infection.

So I advice you to consult you doctor once to rule out obstruction/ to treat it.

Hope these will help you in managing your problem. Feel free to ask if any queries, I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you faster recovery and good health.