Accidentally inhaled a mixture of organic compounds. Now sore throat, dizziness, loss of sensitivity

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question

I work in a lab and have accidentally inhaled a mixture of organic compounds (phenol and chloroform among them) for less that a minute. However, i noticed the effects quickly: sore throat, dizziness, loss of sensitivity in the face. The effects lasted 2-3 hours.

I am currently trying to conceive, but have not ovulated yet (i expect ovulation tomorrow or the day after). Should i stop to ttc this month because of the organic compound exposure?

Thank you.
XXXXXX
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 34 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
You have just mentioned phenol and chloroform , which in animal studies have been shown to be toxic for ovulation and conception.
There is a mixture of various compounds as you said.
To be on the safer side, you had better avoid conception for this month.
Also, take regular folic supplements.
Try for conception once all work exposure to toxic chemicals is eliminated.
All the best.

Follow-up: Accidentally inhaled a mixture of organic compounds. Now sore throat, dizziness, loss of sensitivity 17 minutes later
I have had intercourse everyday for the last week, so i might as well get pregnant even if i stop to ttc now. In that case, what are the chances of having problems during the pregnancy? How long does it take for these organic compounds (phenol and chloroform) to disappear from my body?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
There are no human studies on the subject.
These compounds are metabolises and excreted in the lungs very fast, however these two are not the only two compounds.
You mentioned that there was a mixture of compounds.
These products in heavy doses could cause damage to the ovum .
However, if the exposure was very brief, you have no cause of worry.
Generally accumulated toxins are more harmful.