Accidentally given extra dose of amoxicillan to an infant. Any risk?

Mar 2016

I gave my 12 month old an extra dose of amoxicillan by accident.
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

The daily dosage for child of 12 months old is around 40 - 90 mg/kg/day in two to three divided doses, depending on the indication, the severity of the disease and the susceptibility of the pathogen.

Twice daily dosing is only recommended when the dose is in the upper range but dosing three times daily is associated with enhanced efficacy.

Therefore, I do not think that it will be harmful to baby by giving three doses accidentally instead of two doses. One extra dose is tolerable on that age group and here nothing to worry.

If you see any adverse drug reaction ( like nausea,vomiting,diarrhea or abdominal cramp) , then you should contact with healthcare provider/ family physician immediately for better measures.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish good health for your baby.

Dr Soumen.