Accidental needle prick from insulin pen. Patient having diabetes, kidney problems. Can I get any infection?

Question
I accidentally pricked my finger from the needle of my mother insulin pen, a few drops of blood came out. My mother is a kidney patient, she is on dialysis (twice a week) and she is a diabetic too. I am worried that i might catch an infection , HIV, diabetes or something. Please help
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 16 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
I understand your concern and will try to address them.
You can't get diabetes from the prick of your mother's insulin injection.
This can result in HIV provided your mother also has it.
You may get some local infection on your finger provided that needle is infected.
The chances of needle being infected is low as the needles are regularly changed.
Just don't worry.
Clean your finger well with alcohol and forget it.
You will be requiring antibiotic course only if your finger gets infected but chances look remote.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
Thanks