Accidental intake of mosquito repellent cream. Harmful?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i ate odomos ( mosquitoe repellant cream- ingredient (12% N, N-diethyl-benzamide) by mistake??what should i do?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 20 minutes later

How much did you ingest

This mosquito repellant has a chemical which can cause breathing problem, vomiting, stomach pain, seizures as well. Do you have any of these symptoms

Firstly, remove all source of the cream from your body. Drink water. Wash your mouth and skin thoroughly. Remove clothes which may be contaminated with the cream.

It is ideal that you consult Doctor at Emergency Room immediately.

If you cannot go to the Hospital for unavoidable reasons and have taken less quantity, you can drink a glass of milk if vomiting has not yet occurred.
Watch for any f the above symptoms developing. If they do you need to go to the Hospital and you will be assessed and if required stomach wash will be done.

Do not delay.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Accidental intake of mosquito repellent cream. Harmful? 18 minutes later
I applied very little quantity as a toothpaste in my mouth by mistake and had vomitted and brushed immediately??
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 minutes later

As long as you have not swallowed it, there is less chance of reaction.

If you develop any vomiting, seizures, abdominal pain etc. do go to the Doctor immediately.

You should was your month and lips thoroughly with plain water. You can drink a glass of water or milk to reduce possible absorption from what has been swallowed.

Please avoid such incidents from happening further. Do be alert and keep things where they should be, other wise even children can get easily poisoned and nobody will know till it's too late. Keep out of reach from children and avoid any confusion.