Accident causing polytrauma with sof lt thigh, bimalleolar ankle, best rest taken, persisting ankle pain. Help?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I met with a car accident on 12th February - 13
The detail of injury as per discharge summary of hospital :- Polytrauma with # SOF LT thigh with grade 2 open # Bimalleolar RT Ankle, Dislocation cuboid & 1st metatarsal LT Foot with Blunt trauma chest ( ICD:S72.3 & S82.5 & S82.6)
Course during hospital as per discharge summary :-
LW 6X2.5cm over anterior aspect of RT leg below knee
LW2X5cm over medial melleolus
Pallor ++
GCS 15/15
2 PC Transfuced
I have my X-rays in soft copy & Discharge Summary's Soft Copy. If require the same can be forward thru E-mail.
I was bed rest till 10th May-13. Then doctor allowed me to walk with the help of walker. But there is too muck pain in my ankel & cannot stand on one foot. Doctor as told no physiotheraphy to me.
Please call back for more detail discussion
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
It seems that you had a severe trauma with open wounds. Since you were on bed rest for almost three months, it will take some time (around 3-4 weeks) before you can bear weight on your ankle with a bearable pain. Right now try only to walk for a few steps with the help of walker.
Regular hot fomentation and passive stretching exercises are advised till the pain subsides. After that the physical therapy is advised under the guidance of a physical therapist to regain the full range of movement.
Do take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen and continue with the calcium supplements till then. Also the extent of healing of the fracture needs to be confirmed radiologically ( by X-ray).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.