Absence of periods. Pregnancy test and blood test negative. Why is period absent, is it pregnancy?

Ok my last period started April 28th. I have not had one since. I have taken two at home pregnancy tests and a blood test, all negative. I have had two children already and I was certain I was pregnant again. I am feeling some symptoms but I have been told its just in my head and its caused by stress. I am not under any stress in my life right now though. I just want to know what the possibilities are of why I am not getting my period and why I feel the way I do. With both my previous pregnancies I didn't find out until about 3 months along and that was after several negative home tests and then finally a positive blood test.
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Periods can be delayed by various factors like stress and hormonal imbalance.Normally by 2 months,the urine and blood tests should be positive and any existing pregnancy should have been confirmed.Since you have a history of delayed conception,its better that you wait another month and repeat the urine test,blood test and ultrasound.
If negative then you most definitely arent pregnant. Delayed conception is pretty rare though not unheard of. In case tests are negative you should have a complete hormonal profile done so that any other cause can be ruled out.

Follow-up: Absence of periods. Pregnancy test and blood test negative. Why is period absent, is it pregnancy? 1 hour later
What causes delayed conception and what exactly does that mean? Also would a hormone imbalance cause some of the pregnancy symptoms? What would I need to do if it is just an imbalance?

Thank You for your wisdom,
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 19 hours later
Delayed conception means that the egg and the sperm fertilise at a later cycle than imagined.It simply means that even though you have not had your period for 2 months, the fertilisation may have occured after that hence,your pregnancy tests are negative.But this occurs rarely.You need to repeat the test after a month and go from there. Hormone imbalance may cause amenorrhea also and has to be identified by tests first.Thyroid, prolactin dysfunction may lead to that.You will need to do a complete blood test for hormone function.And get an ultrasound.