Abscess on head of child that looks like a mosquito bite

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 2 months old baby has an abscess on his head. It looks like a mosquito bite, but not sure
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
On the head, an infected hair follicle is a more likely possibility than an abscess. Abscesses may develop because of obstructed sebaceous or sweat glands, inflammation of hair follicles.
Since the area is infected, it needs systemic antibiotics and hot fomentation to control the infection. It also needs to be cleaned and drained under medical guidance.
You should consult his pediatrician for the appropriate care and further treatment.
Till then you can apply warm compresses to the area for about 30 minutes, four times daily. And once the area is completely drained you can apply a local anti septic cream like neosporin.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.