Abscess in thigh and spine. Culture showing methicillin resistant staph aureus. Taken keflex and bactrim. Presence of ketones in urine

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I just had an abscess in my thigh and the culture said numerous methicillin resistant staph aureus. I took keflex and bactrim for a week and the abscess is healing well according to the dr. But they did a urinalysis and for protein it says 25 and ketones 5 and color XXXXXXX I was hospitalized 9 months ago for an abscess in my spine which required surgery. How does a person keep getting abscesses and what does the urine results indicate?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Repeated infections and abscesses are usually associated with diabetes or certain immune compromised states. You need to monitor your blood glucose levels to find out if you are a diabetic.
In urine analysis, high amount of protein is again suggestive of a urinary infection.
The presence of ketones can be due to diabetes, dehydration, low carbohydrate diet, etc.
A urine culture will help in determining the causative organism and will determine the antibiotic best for you.
Meanwhile you need to take plenty of fluids of orally.
Take Cranberry juice as it inhibits bladder infection.
Take Vitamin C tablet Celin once a day for few months. It will help in increasing your immunity.

Consider visiting a Urologist for evaluation and mention about the recurrent infection. Also consider doing a USG scan to rule out any kidney infection.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.