Abscess between scrotum and thigh, lanced, drained earlier. Not healing now. How to permanently cure it ?

I have an abcess between my scrotum and thigh that was lanced and drained a few times over the last year but this time it will not fully heal. How can I get the small hole to stop emitting small amounts of blood and heal up properly?

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later

The abscess you describe is likely to have developed into a sinus or a fistula. Its often a complication in chronic abscesses.

You need to get confirmed that it is not acutely infected by its swab culture test.
Many doctors do prefer to get a small biopsy of the wound to be seen under microscope to look for any reason of non healing wound like say chronic granulomatous disease. Though TB is commonest cause of such non healing wounds in developing countries, diabetes is often a reason for slow healing at your age.

I suggest you to get to a general surgeon and get it confirmed as sinus or fistula, then the surgery called fistulectomy or sinusectomy can be planned to remove the problem from its roots.

So what you may need now is:
1. swab test for culture
2. sugar check for diabetes
3. surgeon consultation to confirm when infection settles.

I hope this answers your query. please get back if any doubts further.

thank you