Abrasion on labia, swelling, white spot. No pain. Treated with peroxide and Neosporin. Will this go away on its own?

i have a small abrasion on my left labia on the outside. the labia on that side only is swollen, using a mirror i can see a small white spot that i believe is the abrasion. It doesn't hurt, and since treating with peroxide and neosporin it is reduced in swelling a bit; not so rigid around the edge, seems swelling is going down. Will this go away on it's own? What are signs of infection? What is the best way to treat this?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

It is very likely that you have a small infection in the skin around the labia. This can happen from time to time and is not indicative of anything very worrisome. Sometimes a small amount of bacteria can get underneath the skin and create a tiny infection. This is very similar to a pimple which you might have experienced in the past on your face.

So far you have done everything correctly. I would not recommend continuing to use peroxide in that area as it can be abrasive as well. I would recommend continuing to use the Neosporin three times per day. In addition, I would recommend that you take a warm soak in the bathtub twice per day for the next couple of days. The warm water will help open the pores in the skin around that area and facilitate the clearing of the infection.

Lastly, I would recommend refraining from sexual activity for the next couple of days as your skin continues to heal.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Abrasion on labia, swelling, white spot. No pain. Treated with peroxide and Neosporin. Will this go away on its own? 1 hour later
I did as you suggested and had a hot shower, soaked the area, cleaned it well (rinsed) and patted dry and put neo on.
I noticed while showering that (I guess) a lymph node at my groin area on the same side(like horizontal to my top pubic hair area) on the same side is swollen and tender. Feels like the size of an english pea. The same node on the side where i have no cut in contrast feels the size of a small BB.
I took some ibuprofin. do you think I should take it to help with this inflamation as well as the inflamation on my labia? Or do you suggest something? Or better to take nothing?
What about a bandaid (if i could get it to stay on this moist area) with or without antibiotic ointment? Would that help or hurt?
When should I see a reduction in swelling?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 18 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

Regarding the swollen lymph node this is really not surprising. When you have inflammation and a mild infection going on your immune system will mobilize the immune cells in order to fight the infection. This will cause swelling of the lymph node or lymph nodes in that area. This of course is temporary and as the infection improves the lymph node will gradually get smaller.

You could take some Ibuprofen to help with some of the swelling and inflammation. I would recommend that you take 400 to 600 mg of Ibuprofen every eight hours for the next few days.

I don't think you necessarily need a Band-Aid in that area. You might consider using a small piece of gauze to protect your underwear from the ointment. it should take another couple of days before things really start to turn around and improve. If for some reason the swelling increases in size or you develop systemic symptoms of fever or chills, it might be time to visit with your doctor. Unread are occasions it is necessary to use a tiny incision to drain some of the material from under the skin.

I would say that within 48 hours you should see some degree of reduction in the swelling. I really think a warm soak in a bathtub would really benefit you if you try to do that twice a day.

I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Robert