Abortion, pregnancy, cysts removal from ovaries and hysterectomy. Smoked before surgery. What are the risks?

my friend is going in for surgery for an abortion. she is 12 weeks pregnant. the doctor will also be performing a procedure for removing cysts from her ovaries and possible hysterectomy. she is a meth user and smoked some last night and her surgery is at 1:00 pm today. my question is what are the risks?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Using Meth within 24 hours of the surgery may show interactions with the various kinds of drugs that will be used during and after the surgery specially the anaesthetics. If she is a habitual smoker, large doses of anaesthetics may be needed.
It can cause a wide variety of symptoms like palpitation, anxiety, sweating, respiratory distress, irregular heart beats, etc.
It is difficult to predict the effect it is going to have on her and the possible problems it can cause during the surgery.
Using meth before a surgery is definitely not recommended for the safety of the patient. It is best to discuss this with her treating surgeon so that he remains prepared for any emergencies.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.