Abortion, cramps and passed a piece of flesh. Taking contraceptive injection. What can be the bleeding about?

Hi. Im 29 years old and had an abortion on the 20th of feb. After the abortion i was given the contraceptive injection which stopped my periods. I was having regular sex while on the injection the last time being 4 weeks before the injection ran out. I was due my second shot in may but decided not to bother as i wanted to get my body back to normal as i had also been on the pill prior to the abortion. I began bleeding the moment the second injection would have been due. It lasted a day then stopped. A week later i bled again (only for a Day) and then started to bleed every few days sometimes heavy with clotting and sometimes just spotting. I am very bloated most of the time and always cramp just before i bleed. My worry is that yesterday morning i bled (lightly) but the cramps were really bad and then i passed a large peice of flesh. The cramps have stopped but im worried about what it was please help....
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Thanks for consulting us.
This large piece could be a retained blood clot or a miscarriage. However it may also represent a uterine pathology like a polyp or a fibroid.
I suggest you should take a pregnancy test & also go for a pelvic ultrasound scan to rule out any disease of your reproductive tract.
If you have ruled out pregnancy & scan comes normal & your irregular bleeding persists then you should see a Gynecologist. She/He may prescribe you medicine to regulate your periods.
Please write back if you have any further question.
Hope you get well soon.
Warm Regards.
Follow-up: Abortion, cramps and passed a piece of flesh. Taking contraceptive injection. What can be the bleeding about? 3 hours later
hi thankyou for responding. I last had sex 8 weeks ago while still covered by the injection. I then did a pregnancy test 4 weeks ago which came back negative. What is the likelyhood of pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 19 hours later
Thanks for your question.
Injections are a very effective method of birth control but still they are not 100% effective.
Chances of pregnancy in your case are very low I would say less than 1 % but your history of irregular bleeding forced me to recommend you the fore mentioned investigations.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any other question.
Best Regards.