Abortion, bloated stomach, self pregnancy test, inclination towards positive side. Pregnant?

hi... i had an abortion on the 9th april... about 4 weeks ago... have not got my next menses yet... and my stomache feels bloated.... and I did do self pregnancy test... it had a very very light line on the positive side.... I and my husband did have sex after 2 weeks plus of my abortion... my it was a withdrawal method... could i be pregnant?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 27 minutes later

After abortion it takes 2 to 3 cycles for the hormonal levels to be normalized and have regular periods. For the initial few months the periods might be disturbed but it is not a good decision to have unprotected intercourse immediately as fertilization can occur because ovulation can start as early as 15 days after an abortion. Also withdrawal method is not consider to be a safe method as pre cum can lead to pregnancy in few cases.

You can confirm it by retesting using a Urine Pregnancy test kit or get Quantitative HCG levels from a known medical laboratory in your area.

Consider visiting a Gynecologist at the earliest for clinical examination of the cervix if it has closed or not because if it is open and you have conceived then chances of infection and abortions are high.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up query.
Follow-up: Abortion, bloated stomach, self pregnancy test, inclination towards positive side. Pregnant? 26 hours later
Thanks for your reply. Just for my satisfaction I went for a scanning today in one of the clinic. There was no small round thing like a coin as my previous one shown in the scanning. Is it possible to see after five days of menses delay if I am pregnant? Or is it delay bacause of my earlier abortion?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 5 hours later

Thanks for the follow up

Good to know that you went for the check up but USG scan would not show so early if possibility of pregnancy is there.I hope you had a physical examination of the pelvis to look out if the cervix has closed or not as suggested by me previously.

You might have the periods in few days as it takes time for the hormonal levels to be normalized but if they do not start even in a week time then kindly see your Gynecologist for evaluation.

Wishing you Good Health!