Abnormally heavy periods with massive blood clots. On Rigevidion. Could it be PCOS or endometritis ?

I have had abnormally heavy periods for just over a year now before that they were fine. Not long in duration just really heavy (flooding through clothes four/five times a day) with massive blood clots. My G.P. put me on the contraceptive pill Rigevidion - i have been on for 6 months now and it seemed to work the first two months but since then it has not helped. I kept hoping it would begin working but it hasn't and i don't know what to do - change pills or consider more drastic options (endometrial ablasion). I just want the nightmare to end. I have changed my diet to include more vitamin K and taken vitamin D supplements as i was told they would help but they have not. I tried diluted XXXXXXX cider vinegar (1tbsp in 1litre water) this also worked for 2 days then stopped working..i don't actually know why they have become heavy..i don't have pain any other time during my cycle other than the actual period so i doubt it would be endometritis or POS. What other options are there for stopping my period - can i take the contraceptive pill continuously without a break in between packs so i would not have a period at all. Maybe have it every couple of months?
Posted Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
There can be many causes for menorrhagia esp at your age.Hormonal imbalance is the most common.Thats why the oc pills have been prescribed. Get your thyroid levels checked if you havent already. Also an ultrasound would be advisable. If all is normal,then oc pills would work best for you. Taking them continuously would not be advisable as you do need to menstruate to avoid endometrial hyperplasia.Another option may be LNG-IUS.That too is a hormone device and helps in controlling bleeding.
Endometrial ablation isnt advised at such a young age.You also need to rule out endometriosis as that also causes heavy bleeding.