Abnormal consistency of stools. What could be the reason?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
my mother is 84. She tells me that for 2 weeks she has has yellow stools that are slightly softer than usual. I think if this continues much longer she shoud see the doctor. Can this be due to conditions other than pancratic cancer? I am wanting to know how best to advise her. Many thanks.
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 8 minutes later

From the description you have given it is not possible to opine on any disease process.

There are various criteria which need to be present before calling the stools abnormal.

1. The color which should be any other than yellow.
2. The quantity and frequency of stools.
3. The presence of blood in the stools.
4. Offensive odor.
5. Tendency to float with frothiness.

If there are abnormalities in any of the above then that merits further investigation.

In your mother's case I would suggest you to get two investigations. 1. Stool examination and 2. CBC (Complete Blood Count).

If any abnormality is found in these investigations then that merits a physician opinion.

With Regards