Abnormal chest x-ray, infiltrate on LML, lack of vasculature in lobe. Chest congestion, dry cough, hard to breathe

I had a chest xray that stated chest- abnormal. No rib ractures seen, no pneumothorax seen, infiltrate is present, no atelectasis seen, no effusion seen, no abnormal elevation of either hemidiaphragm is seen. No evidence of CHF seen dediastinum noted to be widened, no cardiomegaly seen, mass noted, no pulmonary vascular congestion seen. Infiltrate on the LML and Circular Opacity Lack of Vasculature in the Left Upper Lobe. My symptoms are chest congestion and tightness dry non productive cough lasting about 30 is hard to breath at times. oh a nd report also states the the is atelectasis on right lower lobe. Mr email address is YYYY@YYYY I am a retired ER nurse and really worried if i am looking at lung CA
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
As per the symptoms mentioned above; chest congestion , non-productive cough, feeling of tightness also indicates bronchitis. No need to worry about lung cancer, until and unless you are sure about it doing investigations like CT -scan chest.

Abnormalities seen on your chest X-ray as mentioned above are - mass noted, Circular Opacity Lack of Vasculature in the Left Upper Lobe , atelectasis on right lower lobe.

I would like to ask if mass noted is the same circular opacity in left upper lobe?
Mass noted could be previous infection that has caused fibrosis or scaring. Atelectasis can occur because of lower chest tightness and shortness of breath; then we will need to get CT scan done to rule out malignancy.

CA lung will have history of recurrent cough, bronchitis , weight loss, blood in sputum which you are not having. So do not worry.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.