Abnormal cells in pap smear,colposcopy,biopsy,moderate cell growth,precancerous cells

I have abnormal cells on my pap, my gyno did a coposcopy and biospsy which should moderate cell growth. she told me to come back in three months for another coposcopy - no other symptoms just and abnormal pap. what are the chances that the precancerous cells will develp into cancer in three months, this is my concern
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 24 minutes later

First let me assure you that Cervical cancer will not develop in period of three months. It takes years to develop.

Now I will explain the chain of events and the reasons behind them.

1. Your doctor must have suggested a Pap Smear during a routine Gynecologic examination.
2. The reports would have shown abnormal cells in the Pap Smear.
3. So the doctor would have done a Colposcopic examination.
4. In coloscopic examination the doctor would have found certain abnormal areas or growth.
5. So the doctor would have biopsied the area or growth.

This biopsied tissue will be sent for pathological examination to determine the extent of derangement present. Following which treatment modalities would be discussed with you.

The protocol when you find an abnormal Pap Smear is to follow up at regular intervals. So you doctor has asked you come back in three months. So there is nothing to worry.

Treatment modalities to treat cervical cancer is improved a lot in recent years. When detected early its 100% curable. So you have absolutely nothing to fear.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Abnormal cells in pap smear,colposcopy,biopsy,moderate cell growth,precancerous cells 30 minutes later
It takes years even though the cells are precancerous stage 2 ?

Do all precancerous cells eventually become cancerous, is it inevitable or it is not known.
thank you
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 44 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The precancerous stage 2 which you are referring to is not of "STAGE II Cervical Cancer". It is CIN 2 (Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia II), which in staging of cervical cancer comes before "STAGE I" it is probably "STAGE Tis -(Carcinoma in situ, intraepithelial carcinoma)". As it is the very early lesion, its definitely treatable.

Precancerous lesions eventually do become cancerous. But in case of cervical cancer it is extremely slow. For the cancer to occur it takes on an average 10 years and for it to become a life-threatening condition is still further.

So, in your case I assure you there is nothing for you to worry.

Wish you good health and long life.

If you are satisfied with my reply and have no further questions kindly click on the accept button below.