Abnormal blood sugar levels, headache, glucose tolerance test

Question
Hi. I have been monitoring my blood sugar levels for about a week now. Every single night I have tested it has been at least 2 hours or longer after eating. It has consistanly been over 100 and a high of 131. I have had a headache almost every single night. I also gave up sugars about a week and a half ago. I have also been trying to cut down on the carbs. I am beginning to get concerned as to why every night I feel so bad.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Hello

The blood sugar levels that you have monitored are not highly abnormal. A normal range blood sugar level 2 hr after eating is less than 140 mg/dL. Since you have a strongly positive family history of diabetes, you can go for a glucose tolerance test to find out if you are diabetic.

Having continuous headache for last many days without any history of migraines or head injury may be due to-

1. Anxiety/ tension- try to relax yourself, decrease alcohol or caffeine intake, take a mild sedative for a good and restful sleep, do mild aerobics, etc.

2. Eyestrain-Straining your eyes to focus on things can be a big factor of what causes headaches. You need to get your eyes examined for refraction.

3. Depression.

4. High blood pressure- you need to consult your physician to rule this out.

All the above causes need to be excluded. If the headache is not getting relieved with mild pain killers like Tylenol then you can try some herbal preparations for the same.

Also, i would advise you to get an MRI head and neck done to rule out any organic causes if none of the above causes seem likely.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.