Abnormal WBC result from semen test. What are the causes?

my WBC result from my semen test were 8-10/mf. What does that result mean?-reference range is 0-5/hpf
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 2 hours later

The result is slightly on the higher side. It is likely that you may have infection / inflammation of the male genitourinary tract which is of significance if you are have difficulty in conceiving a child. On occasions in such cases we do request for semen culture; but the results unfortunately do not reflect the true status of any infection in view of growth of “commensals” from elsewhere along the tract.

So if you can actually give details of why you had the test done; details of other parameters such as count, motility, morphology specified in your semen analysis and if you have any symptoms such as pain after ejaculation and any fevers, it will help us in giving you the optimum advice. On the other hand, if you are already a father, and have no symptoms whatsoever, you can take a course of antibiotics empirically and get a re-evaluation after 3 months or so.

Hope I have given you a detailed answer to your query. Should you have any additional queries, I will be glad to assist you further. Please do accept the answer if you do not have any other queries.