Abnormal TRP test, taking Viread, have Hepatitis B. What is TRP test? Should I take TRP test to see if kidney problem is caused by Hepsera?

What is TRP medical test? A haptitus B patient who has taking the drug VIREAD and has taken the TRP test showing abnormal result and his doctor replaced the VIREAD with Baraclude and the TRP test result back to normal. I am taking Hepserea and my kidney function have problem Should I take the TRP test to see my kidney problem is caused by Hepsera? My kidney function was normal before. Thanks!
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 9 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
TRP stands for tubular reabsorption of phosphate. It is the fraction of the phosphate that is reabsorbed in the renal tubules. We generally use this test to investigate patients with hypophosphatemia ( low blood phosphate levels).
If you're taking Hepsera ( which has adefovir), regular monitoring of renal function is required since this drug is known to damage the kidneys. You would need a serum creatinine level and a serum phosphorous level. If the creatinine level is high and the phosphorous levels are decreasing, we need to adjust the dose of Hepsera. I do not think the TRP test would be useful in your condition.
Let me know if you have any more questions