Abnormal EKG,shows mild tricuspid valve regurgitation,elevated right ventricular end-diastolic pressure. Implications?

I am 53 year old female 5'5" , 120 lbs. Due to an abnormal EKG, I had an echo which revealed mild tricuspid valve regurgitation and slightly elevated right ventricular end-diastolic pressure. Other echo findings were normal. I am asympomatic and tolerate exercise well. What does this result imply.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Gopi A 10 hours later

Thank you for posting you query.

I understand your health concern.

I have gone through your description, mild tricuspid regurgitation on echo without any other structural abnormalities is not an uncommon finding, and has no adverse implications.

I am not sure on what basis they have determined that the right ventricular end diastolic pressure is high. In my opinion i would ignore the last comment, because the sensitivity of that measurement is not very high and in a person with mild tricuspid regurgitation, I do not expect the RVEDP (Right ventricular end diastolic pressure) to be high.

Essentially I think your cardiac status is normal and the only precaution i would advise is to repeat an echo after one year and if the finding is similar repeat it once in two years.

Hope I have answered your query, please do get back to me if you have any further queries.

With regards,

Dr. A. Gopi.
Follow-up: Abnormal EKG,shows mild tricuspid valve regurgitation,elevated right ventricular end-diastolic pressure. Implications? 3 hours later
Actually it was the right ventricular end systolic not diastolic pressure that was slightly elevated.
Answered by Dr. Gopi A 16 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

If it was the systolic pressure please let me know the exact value as that would help me to asses the situation better.

Dr. Gopi