Abnormal CBC count. Done CBC test. Taking iron supplements.History of low iron. What does the report indicate?

Question
I took a pre-employment physical and my CBC counts were a bit abnormal, so they want me to get a underlying reason why my CBC counts are off. They want me to get a medical release saying what is causing my abnormal counts and I can go to work overseas without any limitation. Ive always had low iron and recently started taking iron supplements and it has improved. Since I took the initial CBC test, Ive taken my iron everyday and within a weeks time by New CBC is better. I am going to post both CBC test, to try and get a dignosis.

First CBC
RBC 5.70 H
WBC 6.10 NORMAL
RBC 5.70 HIGH
HEMOGLOBIN 12.9 NORMAL
HTC 44.8 HIGH
MCV 78.6 NORMAL
MCH 22.6 LOW
MCHC 28.7 LOW
RDW 18.0 HIGH
SEE TEXT * MODERATE ANISOCYTOSIS MODERATE HYPOCHROMASIA OVALOCYTES OBSERVED MODERATE POIKILOCYTOSIS
All other levels are normal

2nd CBC
RBC 5.50 Normal
WBC 6.10 NORMAL
HEMOGLOBIN 13.0 NORMAL
HTC 37.8 Normal
MCV 68.7 Low
MCH 23.6 LOW
MCHC 34.4 Normal
RDW 16.7 HIGH
Eosinophils .5 Low was normal a week ago
ABS Eosinophils 0.0 Low was normal a week ago
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

I have seen your reports and comparing the previous and recent reports, you seem to be having iron deficiency anemia. One week of iron supplements is not enough for the blood counts to come back to normal and you need to take them for close to 4-6 weeks for the counts to normalize. MCV and MCH should come back within normal limits gradually.

In order to increase the iron/hemoglobin levels in the body, you can have iron XXXXXXX foods like liver, lean red meats, beans like kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils, iron fortified whole grains, XXXXXXX vegetables like spinach, tofu, broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, chicken, nuts, egg yolk and dry fruits.

You should also have iron supplements along with these foods. The iron preparation you take should contain between 30-100 mg elemental iron. Avoid enteric-coated or prolonged-release preparations.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Abnormal CBC count. Done CBC test. Taking iron supplements.History of low iron. What does the report indicate? 6 minutes later
Is there anyway I can obtain your services to write me a letter outlining the following to obtain medical clearance for my tentative job offer in Afghanistan? I really need this job, and I am new to my current area and I do not have a personal physician. The deadline for this release is Jun 14,my time is running out. I have attached the letter Ive received from the them and the job description I would be performing.

This is the information below the letter must contain:

Possibly abnormal Complete Blood Count (CBC) results requires:
1) Evaluation by personal physician; and,
2) Release from personal physician documenting the following:
A) Diagnosis of or underlying condition attributed to the possibly abnormal
results;
B) Stability of condition, specifically to include the last 90-days;
C) Ability to safely deploy to and work in Afghanistan, as a Help Desk
Administrator (attached). [The attached job description must be provided to
the evaluating physician as part of his or her evaluation.]
D) Specifically address whether there are any on-going restrictions and/or
limitations; and,
E) Requires any on-going treatment and/or monitoring during the deployment
period for up to one (1) year.

Thank you in advance,

XXXXXXX
YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back. Unfortunately, I won't be able to help you in the same as you need to be personally examined by a physician and given the desired certificate. I will not be able to issue you such a certificate without a physical examination which you know is not possible. I sincerely hope you understand. Take care.