Abnormal AST on blood test, overweight, gilbert's syndrome, GERD, dieting, on augmentin, sinus infection

I am a 41 year old male who is 6'2" tall and 227 pounds. I have recently had abnormal AST reading on a blood test. I am slightly overweight. I do not drink alcohol. I have Gilbert's syndrome. I have GERD. I recently have been working out very hard and I have been dieting. I have recently finished a course of Augmentin 1 month ago for a sinus infection. I had a stress test today that was normal. My blood work was mostly normal. Cholesterol, etc. were excellent, except that my AST was 79. My ALT was 46. What do you think the cause is? What should I do? Should I go for further tests? Is it any thing to worry about? Or was it caused by me working out hard? I am very nervous.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later

There is no need to be anxious.
AST is an enzyme which is present in cardiac muscles, skeletal muscles and RBCs along with its presence in the liver cells. The raised levels of AST with normal ALT levels are not suggestive of a liver disorder as ALT is more specific investigation for liver damage.

A shot or injection of medicine into muscle tissue, or even strenuous exercise, may increase AST levels alone.

In rare instances, some drugs can damage the liver or muscle, increasing AST levels. This is true of both prescription drugs and some "natural" health products.
You are doing exercise to lose weight which might be the reason of raised levels. Only mild increase in AST is not of much significance and you can just ignore it also if there are no associated problems.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Follow-up: Abnormal AST on blood test, overweight, gilbert's syndrome, GERD, dieting, on augmentin, sinus infection 12 hours later
Should I go for more tests? What is the likelihood of me having something like hepatitis or something more serious? I have been vaccinated for hepatitis b. I have never used iv drugs. But 20 years ago I experimented with snorting drugs Billirubin, cholesterol, etc. were all normal.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Mildly raised levels of AST as in your case is not much of concern and you might as well ignore it. If there are no further problems then you need not investigate it further.
Sincerely hope it will help.
Wishing you an early recovery.