Abdominal ultrasound shows hepatomegaly, stone in gall bladder. Is surgery necessary?

General Surgeon
I am diagonaise during my full abdomen ulta sound test as under:-
Chronic cholicystitis with multiple chollethiasis.
Small right nephrolithiasis.
inflamed & gaseous distended bowl loops are seen.
Sizes of stone in gall blader is :- multiple calculi of 0.3 mm to 0.5 mm and one of 1.o cms size.
My querries are as under:-
(a) What is the above diagnosis mean?
(b) Is the surgery is necessary to remove gall blader. I have no pain In the abdomen so far,
(c) is any other alternate for removal of these sizes stone in gall bladder?

Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 29 minutes later
Hepatomegaly is enlargement of liver.As there are no lesions in the liver,it could be simple enlargement.
Chronic cholecystitis is inflammation of the gall bladder.
Cholelithiasis is stones in the gallbladder.
Inflammed and distended bowel loops can be due to infection .
Nephrolithiasis is stones in the kidney.As the kidney stones are small,they can be dissolved by medicines and are passed in urine.
Where as gall bladder stones do not dissolve.Gall bladder has to be removed by surgery only.There is no alternative method for removal of gall bladder stones.
In many people,gall bladder stones are seen incidentally during routine ultrasound examination.They may stay through out life without causing symptoms.
If you are not having pain under your right rib cage,there is no need for surgery.
Wish you good health
If you have any queries,i will clarify further
Follow-up: Abdominal ultrasound shows hepatomegaly, stone in gall bladder. Is surgery necessary? 9 minutes later
As I have mentioned that sizes of my gall blader multiple stone is .3 mm to .5 mm. only one stone is of size 1 cm. I have no pain so far but I get intestinal infection ( little pain in intestine) in 6-12 month interval.
Pl advice that , whether this is due to gall blader stone or not.
if yes then whether needs surgery or I should be relaxed .
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 8 minutes later
Intestinal infection is not due to stones.It is due to contaminated food or water.
Please avoid outside food.
As far as gall stones are concerned,a single stone of few mm can lead to symptoms like pain in the upper part of abdomen on right side,below rib cage.In the same way,multiple stones of more than 1cm stone can be silent and asymptomatic.
Regarding surgery,you can defer it as you are not having pain in the gall bladder area.
Wish you good health