Abdominal ultrasound shows enlarged liver. Blood work shows low albumin levels. What is your opinion?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have had and abdominal ultrasound last november. It says the liever is enlarged in size with normal echotexture. there is no evidence of any focal defect or mass lesion. the intra hepatic vascular biliary channels are normal. the portal vein is normal in course and caliber.
Impression of doc" Mild hepatomegaly
blood work during the year showed lower albumin levels (although none in urine dipstick) 2.7-2.9. other liver tests alt, alk phospate and ast normal.
what is your opinion?
thank you.
will you answer me tonight?
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Mild hepatomegaly with normal liver function tests is not a major concern

What needs to be taken care of is hypoproteinemia

Is there any history of alcohol ?

Any medications that you are taking ?

What was the indication of stem cell transplant and abdominal ultrasound ?

Considering the fact that the reports were done around 9 months back, I would prefer repeating the liver function tests and if need be an ultrasound of the abdomen

Get back to me with these reports and I will try you clear your doubts
Have a healthy life ahead
Follow-up: Abdominal ultrasound shows enlarged liver. Blood work shows low albumin levels. What is your opinion? 54 minutes later
no alcohol ===thyroid meds, atenolol, prednisone for boop, vitamins, ambien and sometimes clonazepam for sleep.
sct for autoimmune disease --- routine abdominal ultrasound.
what is hypoprteinemia?
thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 29 minutes later

Thanks for writing in again

I think there is nothing to worry about but yet get a repeat Liver Function Test Done

Hypoproteinemia is reduced levels of protein, though in your case it is just marginal

I would just reassure you and wait for the repeat tests

Wishing you a very healthy life ahead
Do not hesitate to write for any further clarifications