Abdominal ultrasound shows cortical cyst. No renal stone of hydro nephrosis. What is this?

my father has gone abdomen ultrasound,which shows a cortical cyst is seen in the mid pole of right kidney,it measures 1.6 x 1.7 shows thin wall with anechoic lumen,no renal stone or hydro nephrosis is noted. pls let me understand what is this and is there any serious threat is associated with it,his age is 73 years.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 28 minutes later

First of all I must let you aware that cortical cyst of kidney is not a matter to be worried. In most of the cases cortical cyst of kidney is an incidental finding. They do not cause any problem to the patient, do not initiate any disease process.

Your father has a cortical cyst in the mid pole of right kidney measuring 1.6 x 1.7 cm with thin wall anechoic lumen. Most of the cases cortical renal cysts are multiple in number. Your father has a single cyst of not too large size. I assure it will not cause any problem, will not cause any disease by itself. In fact in most of time it is an autopsy finding. Its good that there is no renal stone or hydronephrotic change on USG.

This cyst will not disappear spontaneously. It will be there without causing problems though in rare cases it may get infected for which i will advise you to have serial follow up USG scan of abdomen to detect secondary changes in it.

Hope i have answered your queries. If you want to know further you may freely write back to me.

Dr. Arnab Maji