Abdominal ultrasound showed enlarged liver and increase in echogenicity. What are the risks?

Question
hello sir, my husband is 28 yrs of age.he recently got his whole abdomen ultrasound done.the report shows that liver is enlarged (170mm) & increase in echogenicity in a homogenous manner? so how risky is this problem?what medicines should he take?
sir he is continuosly facing vomiting problem..my doctor suggested him two medicines..Hepamerz & liver 52.are these medicines ok?
its been 1year he has this problem.sir what should be the normal size of liver? is 170mm size very risky for life? please give me right direction as how i can solve this problem?
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 29 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concern,

It looks like your husband is having hepatomegaly (increase in size of liver) with increased Echogenicity; this is commonly seen in cases of fatty liver or Viral Hepatitis.

The seriousness of the condition depends on cause. Moreover to know exact plan of treatment we need to identify the cause. I would like to help you identify the cause - if you can answer the following:
1) Does he consume alcohol? - If yes, how much and since when?
2) If his liver function were also tested or not? - If yes, what was the report?
3) Was his Lipid profile done? - If yes what was report?
4) Is he overweight according to his height? / Please mention his current weight and height?

Please give above information, so that I can guide you better.
In the mean time please continue to take treatment as advised by your treating doctor.

Awaiting your response...

With Regards
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Abdominal ultrasound showed enlarged liver and increase in echogenicity. What are the risks? 4 hours later
Thank u sir for ur reply..

He does not drink at all.His hieght is 5ft 11" & his weight is 70 kgs. i am sending u his reports done so far.Kindly let me know the risk factor according to them..

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 16 hours later
Thanks for input.

I have seen his reports and there is mild hepatomegaly due to fatty liver.

I am glad to know that he has normal weight and does not take alcohol.

You should get his Liver function & Lipid profile to check if there is any abnormality.

Please inform me the report once you get the report of test profile.

In such cases OBT (UDCA) therapy is very helpful, he should discuss with treating Physician/Gastroenterologist.

Then we can repeat Sonography and Liver function after 2 months.

Please do not worry, this is not serious and can be treated.

Hope this information helps you and if you have any further query, I will be happy to answer that.

With Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Abdominal ultrasound showed enlarged liver and increase in echogenicity. What are the risks? 27 hours later
Thanks so much doctor.

i am getting his LFT again in another two days & will send u asap.

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 7 hours later
Thanks for your input,
Please do inform report,I hope we get better report,
I will try my level best to guide you for his health.
Please take care.

With Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey