Abdominal ultrasound showed cyst on kidney. Is this related to cancer?

Oncologist, Radiation
Had an abdominal ultrasound done and the report says in some scans there is an impression of a mass effect at the lower pole of the left kidney although not seen on all scans. Also a 1 cm cyst on left lower pole od kidney. A repeat ultrasound is recommended in 4 weeks to review the appearance of the left kidney. I am concerned about waiting as if it is a mass can it not be cancer? I am 36 yrs old.
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 33 minutes later

I can understand your concern. Let me assure you that cystic lesions are benign most of the time.

The ultrasound report is not very clear in your case. You should consult your radiologist regarding the findings.

In case of any suspicious lesion of kidney NCCN panel recommends more detail investigations.

Selection of investigations will definitely depend on your treating physician. In my opinion in case of any suspicion complete blood count, abdominal/pelvic CT scan, chest X-ray may be the helpful diagnostic tools.

Consult your treating physician; he/she may help you better for selection of appropriate imaging and other investigations depending on the clinical findings.

Hope I have answered your queries; keep me posted for follow up.
Follow-up: Abdominal ultrasound showed cyst on kidney. Is this related to cancer? 18 hours later
Thank you! I am more concerned about the fact that some scans show mass effect of the lower pole of the left kidney, what does that mean exactly??
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 3 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

Actually mass effects and mass are different thing. This can better be explained by your radiologist. But in case of solid mass delay in investigation should be avoided. Any suspicious mass generally asked for a tissue diagnosis but in case of renal mass this is not the method except a few cases with other contraindications.

If the mass is cystic in nature it may be simple cyst but if it is solid in nature, depending on size surgical intervention may be appropriate.
Please consult your urosurgeon and radiologist for better guidance.

Hope this answered your query. Take care.