Abdominal ultrasound showed a cystic lesion adjacent to the pancreas. Should I go for surgery?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Hi,i need an advice on your view if i should consider surgery. I have met three specialists :one asked me to have immediate surgery,second said not required and third said not immediately required.i am confused !
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query

Unfortunately the information you have provided is inadequate

You need to provide your medical history, the complains which led to the need for CT Scan

Anyway till then :

CT has two issues which need consideration, a retroperitoneal swelling - I would go for a Ultrasound scan and if possible a color doppler to see the vascularity of the same, if inconclusive a USG or CT Guided biopsy

The wide mouth umbilical hernia definitely is not an emergency, you may plan and get it operated

The small diverticulum in duodenum D3 may be left alone at this stage if not causing any problems

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you good health ahead

Follow-up: Abdominal ultrasound showed a cystic lesion adjacent to the pancreas. Should I go for surgery? 7 hours later
Dear Dr Ajit,

I underwent a regular preventive medical checkup where the ultrasound abdomen showed a cystic lesion adjacent to the pancreas. Hence i was asked to do a ct with contrast to evaluate.

Did not go with any problems or background as such. Having no problems even as of now. Is a surgery must in all such cases or can i opt for a periodic review instead.

regards

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your followup

Had I been your doctor I would go for a Ultrasound and COlor doppler, evaluate the vascularity of the growth and in the same sitting go for a USG guided biopsy

Depending on the biopsy report I would plan a conservative or Surgical treatment

Umbilical hernia does need a planned surgery

Duodenal diverticulum can be considered for periodic evaluation

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Abdominal ultrasound showed a cystic lesion adjacent to the pancreas. Should I go for surgery? 16 hours later
Dear Dr Ajit,

Thanks a lot for the clarity. One last doubt, as it is over 7months since the CT was done,is there a merit in repeating the CT test. One doctor told me that i may repeat this periodically to check for any changes in size of the cyst.

regards

Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your followup

Yes it makes difference

Seven months is a good time to get it evaluated again, if no change or regression rejoice

Else go ahead as I have advised

Hope this helps
Get Well Soon
DO get back for any clarifications

Follow-up: Abdominal ultrasound showed a cystic lesion adjacent to the pancreas. Should I go for surgery? 3 days later
.

Hi

I have seen your reports

Largely this is what I will advise if I had been your doctor

I would go for a USG or CT guided biopsy of the growth as it has increased compared to the previous one

If Umbilical hernia is not causing an issue you may plan it at a latter date in case there in some need for the retroperitoneal growth both can be taken care of simultaneously

Fatty liver you need to avoid alcohol, fatty meals and hepatotoxic medicines

A hepatic tonic in consultation with a Gastroentrologist should help prevent the cirrhosis

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Get Well Soon