Abdominal sonogram showed cholelithiasis, fatty infiltration of the liver. Required treatment?

I had an abdominal sonogram last May, and it showed cholelithiasis and a fatty infilitration of the liver. I am in good health, My HDL is 77, My LDL is 101 and my triglyseridis are 50. I eat a low fat diet, and a healthy diet, no fried food, hardly any meat, only chicken without skin, XXXXXXX salmon, sardines and mostlly fish that has omega 3s. I eat fresh vegetables, fruit, no soda. I'm a 72 healthy woman, I excercise everyday, walk everyday. I'm 5 ft tall and weight 112 lbs, Every once in a while I get a gallblader attack, which I can't understand I do eat a lot of broccoli and cauliflower, because it is healthy. I only use extra virgin olive oil. I have low fat yogurt, and skim milk also. This is bugging me.
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable that you are concerned.
Fatty infiltration of the liver is common,it can regress with any necessary lifestyle changes or progress to result in inflammation and further damage to the liver.

There is an ongoing medical debate about the relative contribution fats and carbohydrates play in the accumulation of fat in the liver and rest of the body.

At present it is thought fructose and other carbohydrates play a very important role in fat accumulation, to the extent that reduction in carbohydrates is part of the treatment regimen normally recommended for persons with fatty liver. Part of the reason for this is the other functions of the insulin hormone. Though it functions to reduce blood sugar primarily,it also has other functions such as the suppression of the breakdown of fat which result in its build up.

The diet that you mentioned above sounds very healthy with low fats. You can consider speaking to your doctor or nutritionist about the contribution of carbohydrates to your problems since fat intake is not an issue.
Carbohydrates are found in bread/biscuit/rice/pasta/potatoes/breakfast cereals.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Abdominal sonogram showed cholelithiasis, fatty infiltration of the liver. Required treatment? 15 minutes later
It does help, I only have whole grain bread, and I toast it, and have it once a day with my lunch. I eat fresh oat meal almost everyday, and only have egg whites. I eat pasta once a week, and only 1 cup of lower carbohydrates pasta. I'm not a junk food eater, no cake, potato chips etc. at all, because I am short, and like to keep my weight down. Although I am 72, I am taken for 50 years old, I also have an identical twin sister and she eats like I do, exercises, walks etc. exactly, but she only found out that she had a slight murmur & a mild mitral valve leak, which also blew her mind and mine. She eats like me, and exercises like I do, she is just a 1/4 of an inch taller. We live around 20 minutes away from each other. All our lives we always took extremely care of ourselves In fact our mom was a very healthy woman, no serious problems, she passed away 4 years ago at the age of 95, of natural causes.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Your diet is healthy and you have an active lifestyle which is very commendable.

You may want to consider writing up a 3 to 5 day food diary with everything that you eat or drink and reviewing it with your doctor or nutritionist who can determine if any changes need to be made.
Based on what you have written there should be little to alter.

Please feel free to ask anything else