Abdominal sonogram showed cholelithiasis and fatty infiltration of liver. Treatment?

abdominal sonogram and it showed, Cholelithiasis and fatty infiltration of the liver.
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 45 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Cholelithiasis refers to gallstones. Gallstones develop slowly and persons may not have any symptoms for a long period of time. Symptoms may result if the gallstones block the outlet of the gall bladder , cause inflammation of the gall bladder or block any of the bile ducts (passages through which the bile passes). Most gallstones are made mainly of cholesterol.

As stated , persons with gallstones may have no symptoms or may have symptoms such as pain in the abdomen,nausea, vomiting, sweating. The pain is worse with a fatty meal.
The treatment would depend on whether you are experiencing symptoms or not. Treatment can involve the use of medication to dissolve the gall stones or surgical removal of the gall bladder.

Fatty infiltration of the liver or fatty liver is common. It can remain at the stage where is causes no problems or progress to more serious liver disease. Liver function blood tests may help to determine the degree of the problem.

When fatty liver is diagnosed, if it is at an early enough stage (no inflammation or permanent damage to the liver), then changes in diet and activity can reduce the deposits in the liver.
This would involve reduction in carbohydrate and fat intake. Carbohydrates stimulate insulin secretion which prevents fat breakdown and results in fat storage.This is the reason that a reduction is advised.
If it is possible you may want to consult with a nutritionist.

I hope this helps. feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Abdominal sonogram showed cholelithiasis and fatty infiltration of liver. Treatment? 2 hours later
It really does help. I just don't understand why I have gallstones & a fatty liver. I eat a very healthy diet, which is fish, especially salmon and tuna and sardines, all fresh. I have skinless chicken, and I never fry foods, and I only use extra virgin olive, If I eat pasta I use the lower carb product. I don't eat any white rice, bread or potatoes, just sweet potatoes very rarely. I only have whole wheat or whole grain bread. I have meat one a month. I eat plenty of fresh vegetable and fruit. I use sim milk an usually have non fat yogurt I'm 113 lbs. and I'm 5 feet tall. My cholesterol is 198, my LDL is 111, my HDL is 77 and tryglyserides are 55. I keep my weight down. I exercise every day. I don't eat any fatty foods at all. I can't understand why I got the gallstones. On my sonogram results it says there are multiple calcified gallstones within a non distended gallbladder. The common bile duct is normal in caliber, measuring 6 mm.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 hours later
These gallstones have likely been developing for years, they can take a very long time to develop.
Fatty infiltration of the liver is very common, it is present in 20 to 30% of the population. With your healthy diet it is unlikely to progress to the stage of more serious liver disease.
You may want to consider a 3 to 5 day food diary to review with your doctor or nutritionist , they can look at it and determine if anything needs to be changed.

Please feel free to ask anyother questions