Abdominal scar from an exploratory surgery. Getting stinging and burning sensation. Cause?

General Surgeon
Question
I have an abdominal scar from an exploratory surgery 25 years ago. Yesterday it was stinging and burning and when I put my hand over it, it felt wet. It was blood. There is about an inch long section in the center of the long scar that came open. It's very red around the area. What could have WWW.WWWW.WW this and what can I do?
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 44 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

There are few possible reasons of this scar reopening: surgical suture which irritating the tissues caused such inflammation; intestine fistula to the skin (usually stool like discharge can be present or strange smell, however not necessary), postoperative hernia. It is advisable for you to consult a surgeon who can explore this wound, try to find the suture (most common reason) and decide to do this area ultrasound.
Until this, you can simply wash it with water and soap (no antiseptics are necessary). If any fever appears you should have an antibiotics.
(The photo you have attached is quite blurred. It would be easier to tell which better quality photo.)
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Abdominal scar from an exploratory surgery. Getting stinging and burning sensation. Cause? 5 minutes later
I don't recall there being any sutures. They used staples. I remember the pain of having those staples removed.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

When you do have abdomen opened, to close it the surgeon has to put 3 layers of stitches. Only skin staples are visible for you. All others are XXXXXXX in the tissues and usually one of them is non-absorbable. So still this can be the reason.

Regards.