Abdominal pain, with nausea and diarrhea. Had a ct scan that showed presence of well-circumscribed hepatic lesions. Meaning?

General Surgeon
i was in the er today for chronical upper right abdominal pain, with nausea and diarrhea. this is the third episode since Feb 13th and the second requiring trip to er (because of how bad the pain was). My blood work today shows elevated white count and high neutrophills (9.3) -these results are same for previous incidents. I had a ct scan and it showed presence of "well-circumscribed hepatic lesions, probably representing cysts" and "subcentimeter left renal cortical low attentuation lesion in lower pole, probably a cyst". the er doc didn't discuss these findings with me-just gave me an antispasm drug and told me to follow-up with family doc and g.i. What do these two findings mean?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

From the symptoms and findings of the investigations mentioned, it suggests some gastrointestinal infection.

Amoebic lesion should be ruled out by further tests, definite lesion in liver to be further investigated to find out its nature.

Needle aspiration cytology of the lesion is likely to give the diagnosis; cyst in the lesion may be benign cyst.

Please consult gastroenterologist and get evaluation with clinical examination and further investigations as required.

Please let me know if you have any more queries.

Hope you be all right soon.