Abdominal pain with blood in stool. Is it an emergency?

I have had boodle stool since last night, should i go to ER OR wait for the morning to go see my doctor,
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 minutes later

Thanks for the query
The decision of going to the ER or waiting till tomorrow would depend upon the severity of the condition. I would request you to answer the following questions so that I can assess the urgency of the situation:

1. How many times have you passed bloody stools? Are you passing loose stools like in diarrhoea?
2. Was there XXXXXXX blood in the stools or were the stools blood stained?
3. Do you have pain abdomen as well?
4. Are you suffering from piles/haemorrhoids?
5. Have you eaten anything from outside?
6. Do you have any other symptoms like weakness, fatigue, dizziness?

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Abdominal pain with blood in stool. Is it an emergency? 22 minutes later
I have had at least five bloody stool since yesterday night but not diarrhea, I haD firm stool. IT IS light red XXXXXXX blood, and yes i have abdominal pain to the left side of my abdomen, below my rib cage on the left side,
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 minutes later

Thanks for replying.

Given the condition, the following possibilities arise:

1. Infection of the large intestine: This infection can be caused by a parasitic infection, in most cases by a parasite called Entamoeba histolytica. This condition is called dysentry. Treatment would involve antibiotics like metronidazole which are prescription drugs. You would need to consult your treating physician for an evaluation and a prescription of the same.
2. Haemorrhoids: This occurs due to bleeding from the veins around the anus. It is commonly exacerbated by a low fiber diet. The diagnosis can be made only on an examination.

If you currently have no dizziness or weakness, I would suggest you wait until tomorrow to see a physician. Else, please visit the emergency room so that appropriate treatment can be started.
Further, take plenty of fluids and oral rehydration solution ( mix 1/2 tsp salt and 6-10 tsp of sugar in 1 litre of water) to keep yourself hydrated.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health