Abdominal pain, weight loss, lower back pain, headache, constipation, diarrhea. Abnormal lipase level. Stomach pain, yellow urine

Question
I have been to my doctor with upper abdominal pain, weight loss, lower back pain, headache, and i go from constipation to diarrhea. They did blood work and my lipase is 94. I am 34, female, and weigh 134. I am able to drink water, but I can only eat extremely small meals because of the pain in my stomach. Ive also noticed that my urine is bright yellow.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
dear patient

thanks for your health concerns. in a young female such as yourself, such symptoms particularly the unintentional weight loss should prompt your doctors to look for structural causes of intermittent diarrhea and constipation, particularly inflammatory bowel disease. In your case, I believe that both an upper and lower endoscopies (gastroscopy and colonoscopy)would be recommended in most individuals presenting with such constellation of symptoms

yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Abdominal pain, weight loss, lower back pain, headache, constipation, diarrhea. Abnormal lipase level. Stomach pain, yellow urine 5 minutes later
The dr diagnosed me with pancreatitis. Does that sould like a correct diagnosis?

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 5 minutes later
Dear Jash,

Actually in most laboratories a normal lipase level ranges from 0 to 160, thus in a petient who presents to me with a level of 94 I would say that is normal. I would suggest you discuss these constellation of symptoms with a gastroenterology colleague, who can determine if the endoscopies are needed.

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN