Abdominal pain, vomiting. Blood test showed high SGOT and SGPT. Scan shows fatty infilteration of liver. What are the reasons for this?

i am a 34 yr old man recently due to right abdominal pain and vomitting i had done a blood test which shows my sgot is 57 and sgpt is 102 and also did a scan test which shows i am having a fatty infilteration of liver is it XXXXXXX What will be the reasons for this and how can i come across it when ever i am having heavy food it is paining in the right abdoman
the blood result shows variation in rbc count as 4.3 and pcv as 37.8
My father was diabetic and i am a non alcoholic and non smoker
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Normally mild to moderately high levels of SGOT and SGPT are found in many normal individuals but they assume significance in you ,since you are having fatty liver and pain abdomen on consumption of heavy food.
Since you are a non alcoholic you are having non alcoholic fatty liver disease and this occurs when there is build up of fats,especially triglycerides,in your liver cells.
There are several forms of non alcoholic fatty liver disease(NAFLD) ranging from simpler forms to life threatening forms
NON ALCOHOLIC FATTY LIVER in it's simplest form can cause excess liver fat but no complication.this is the most common form
NON ALCOHOLIC STEATOHEPATITIS in some people excess liver fat causes inflammation of liver and can lead to complications.
NON ALCOHOLIC FATTY LIVER DISEASE ASSOCIATED CIRHOSIS leads to severe scarring of liver and liver failure.

Fatty liver generally has no sign and symptoms but may cause fatigue,pain in rt side of abdomen,weight loss etc.

Although there are various causes for fatty liver but common causes are
Consumption of excess calories
May be associated with diabetes,high triglcerides,obesity,taking medications like excess pain killers or antibiotics or anti lipids.

Things to be done by you
Get your blood sugar and lipids checked up
Get your viral hepatitis markers done
Reduce your weight
Reduce consumption of calories and sweets.
If your triglycerides are high,take anti lipid medicine
Do regular exercises
Take plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables
Quit fast foods and aerated cold drinks

Wait for 6 weeks and get your SGOT,SGPT and ultrasound abdomen done.
In all probabilities,you shall have lot of improvement however,if no improvement then you should consult a Gastroenterologist for detailed evaluation of your liver.
I hope to have answered your query in detail however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck